Friday, August 26, 2011

Automatic Doors and the Conspiracy to Kill Kindness

Some people say it's a southern thing. I've heard countless people who have come down to my college in Birmingham, AL say that they have never had so many people hold the door for someone. Until this was pointed out to me, I never thought twice about the simple act of waiting a few seconds to help out the neighbor walking through the door, or opening the door for the friend that's walking alongside.
As a small child my family would go to the Belle Meade Cafeteria at least once a week with my grandparents. I remember my favorite part of this dinner ever week was standing at the door and opening it for every person that looked even the slightest bit like they were walking towards the restaurant. Belle Meade Cafeteria is gone now, but the doors are still there and rarely opened.
imgres.jpegWhen I returned home from college and stopped hearing about how strange it was for people to be kindly opening doors, I began to notice the number of automatic doors around town stealing my kind gesture from me. I saw purpose for these doors in grocery stores where shoppers pushed large carts disabling them from opening doors. I understood that many disabled people depend on these doors daily. I did not think that these doors were totally necessary at every building I pass in my daily commute. Now, when I walk through an automatic door, I feel almost naked being unable to show the person behind me that I do care for them. When I go out on my own, it brings me joy to be able to step aside, open the door for a stranger, and let them into the building before me. I'm filled with hope for society when I go out with friends and any of the guys open the door for the females present. I elated when a stranger commits this act of kindness for me when I walk through a door.
With this in mind friends, I urge you to see doors as opportunities to spread kindness and care to the friends, or strangers entering the same doors as you, and if you're faced with an automatic door...well I haven't gotten there yet, so just be creative.
Peace.

imgres.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment