Thursday, May 3, 2012

Two Years

Two years ago my hometown was underwater for days. Several friends, family members, acquaintances, and strangers lost their belongings and homes to this water. It was the greatest natural disaster that I had seen or heard of without warning.
Hurricanes are predicted. People evacuate their homes with a slight idea of what could happen.
Middle Tennessee woke up one morning to rain. The rain didn't stop. No one knew what was happening.

I could write for days about the flood. I could write about the damage, or the inconveniences, or every other negative aspect of your entire town being underwater, but the thing that stood out the most about this storm was the story of unity, community, and kindness that followed.

Every other natural disaster I've heard stories of has been followed with stories of looting, lack of aid, and desperation. As soon as the water began to rise in Tennessee, all I saw was hope. Before the water even receded, strangers took their boats out to save people from their flooded homes. People were waiting anxiously for the water to recede, not for themselves but so that they could begin helping others.  Strangers showed up ready to contribute in any way possible. There was too much help in many neighborhoods. There was hope. There was community. There was kindness.

Two years ago, my friends and family were homeless. Two years and they have recovered and grown. Two years and Nashville has maintained this kindness and community that it established long before the flood and reaffirmed during the flood.
Two years. And I haven't seen a kindness like this in two years.

I'm always proud of my hometown, but especially in the past two years, and especially in May.




No comments:

Post a Comment